Monday, July 30, 2007

How I Will Be StellaLuna on My Campus

Although I love my job and my school, there are some major frustrations. The main frustration is the constant hysteria over test scores. We look bad on paper, and sometimes
it translates into drill and kill for the test when so much more valuable material could be taught. The other is the unavailability of technology to our ESL students. This is seriously appalling.
Next year, I want to take what I have learned here to make things different. I want my classes to be real communities of writers. I want them to be more connected to each other as writers and I want their work to be displayed so that other teachers can see what limited English students can do when they are connected to each other as writers. I will use peer response and
more peer editing so that students will know that it's not just about them and me, but about their role in this community.
+-

No comments: