Wednesday, July 25, 2007

My Friend, Judy

I am so lucky to have my friend Judy. We met our freshman year in college because we lived in the same dorm. She was a funny, freckle-faced Irish girl who was always laughing. You could always count on her to turn anything into outrageous fun. We flew to Memphis one time, then travelled down to New Orleans on a riverboat. We spent several days in New Orleans, where she introduced me to every good bar and strong colorful drink in the city. I took her to see A Chorus Line on her twenty-first birthday. We both got married, we both moved away, and we both had two children. I didn't hear from her for years until a college reunion party three years ago. She was back in Dallas. Our children are grown. We took up our friendship right where it left off. Has age, motherhood, or working changed us or made us more mature? Not at all !
We are fifty. When we get together we act like we're twenty, and to continue the tradition we started twenty-nine years ago, we each take the other to a musical on birthdays.

1 comment:

Janelle said...

Oh, it does sound like you have a wonderful friend here. I would love to hear more stories about your adventures... book possibility, perhaps?

Think about it.