Monday, July 23, 2007

My Someplace Special


My someplace special is the tiny chapel in my church. I still go to the same church that I
went to as a child. When I was a child and a young adult, the church was very small. It grew and we built a big, gorgeous sanctuary. However, the little chapel was always special to me because it is where I went to church as a child. It is where friends were, and it’s where I took my children to worship. It’s where my sister played Mary on Christmas Eve with her favorite doll as the Christ child and where I was confirmed along with so many of my friends. It’s where my children, dressed as a shepherd and an angel participated in the Christmas Eve live nativity. It’s very simple in its appearance. It’s a wood paneled A-frame with glowing Russian icons on the wall. I feel a sense of peace there that I do not feel anywhere else. Sometimes after church on Sunday I go there and light candles for those that need help and prayers. When I am in any kind of turmoil that is the place where I go to find solace. It’s as if when I go there with my problems I know that there is hope that those problems will be solved in a better way than I could ever imagine. I have prayed many desperate prayers there, and later everything worked out so well that I couldn’t remember what I prayed for. I have been to all of the great cathedrals of Europe, but to me this is where God lives.

No comments: